Tuesday 19 October 2010

Caught between two stools!

Good morning folks!


On this bright crisp, sunny day under clear blue skies  I am again making no apologies for continuing in the same vein because now at 09.15 I am safely back in the sanctuary of my own home ready to relate  the salient tale of this morning's derring do dos!


Before Chaka  and I head out to meet up with the gang at "Hazels", Minley I wanted to tell you that as after the Laxido had begun to work half-heartedly yesterday and, moreover, as I was adamant about making the most of this day's fine  weather, I decided on taking Geraldine to work. On reaching the  front door I was suddenly wracked by stomach cramps and had to offload Chaka, camera and car keys onto an already burdened Gerry and make a dash for the loo where the inevitable deluge occurred. Popping a quick Immodium and clutching the remains of the toilet roll I headed back out to the car. Trying desperately to hide the naked loo roll from the gaze of the passing school children and their parents, who must have been seriously considering an application for a change of schooling for their kiddywinks in light of the suddenly unsavoury local population explosion. I must get one of those knitted ballet dancer loo roll cosies to disguise the fact, or perhaps pinch one of Caroline's new socks to stuff into.



On our way to Farnborough, with me concentrating extra hard through the power of mind over some very dubious matter, on a quick drop off and head home for anotherr turnout before my walk, G asked to stop at Morrisons en route!!!!!!! Gritting my teeth and realising our lives were now very much more about readjustment and compromise because in this instance G needed some cough mixture and medicine for the hacking cough she has now developed. Thankfully with misson successfully and uneventfully accomplished, and my tale told, I am now off on my way out into the sunshine again. Catch you all later and may we all have a good day!


It is now half past one and I have just returned home from lunch at the Crown & Cushion: A full fat latté beside me and a full and satisfied tummy make for a very relaxed feeling. It is still a lovely day out there and the desire to stay sitting outside the pub in the sunshine with a third pint was quite tempting but the idea of a good afternoon's rest while feeling so well was the overriding factor in the decision making process which lead me home.


Earlier I met up with Fiona, Caroline and Jeanette for an hour and a half  in Minley Wood walking our dogs; a gentle leisurely stroll full of good humoured ribaldry, expect nothing less from Jet, and the odd quip about my new coiffure or more appropriately the lack of it, as only Caroline had seen me since I was clipped on Saturday and the comparison with Chaka was established not only apertaining to colour and  length but also the capability of frequently sheeding.



After bidding farewell to the girls I parked up just along the road in the pub car park and as it wasn't yet open went in search of Trumpet Chantrelles across the road in Hawley Woods after a tip of from Julie Campbell, leader of the local 'Shrooms Fungus Group. my search was in vain so Ireturend to claim the best seat in the sunshine and order a pint of Guinness and To Pad Som from the specials menu and a bowl of chips for Chaka. He asaidit wa sa perfect choice and I am inclined to agree with him: The grilled Cod loin in tamarind and chili sauce with sticky jasmine rice accompanied by wilted spinach was ideal for me and Chaka barked approval of the fries, especially as he had a dessert of pork and crispy  duck scratchings from Julie the Land lady too. Having cleared my plate a pint of Bishops Finger ensured nothing else stuck in my gullet and on settling the very reasonable bill I headed on up the road back to Yateley to check out what record I had captured on camera of a most pleasant morning.


The icing on the cake today was laying on the front door mat where upon, after the postman's delivery was a jiffy bag which I discovered contained a disc from Ian Crouch with images of the photos taken at Sherston last Tuesday (See the now updated blog page for that day now fully illustrated). I was also delighted to see alongside it the delivery of  the copy of Lisa Scott's (shents) book "Keep Yer Hair On", which on first cursory inspection looks fabulous, and I know already I'm going to be reluctant to eventually, after reading it, donate it to The Fountian Centre as originally intended.


What a very special day this is turning out to be.

9 comments:

  1. Hilarious! Nearly weed meself larfing! I know only too well what it's like David. Got the T-shirt/eaten the stew and dated it's son! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh ROFL – and I just love those socks!! Did Caroline make them or buy them? I think they’re wonderful. They look like Pixie socks and right up my street Lol, as I have a liking for spots, stripes and star shapes - preferably altogether.
    Hugs
    Crystal xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi David
    I've been enjoying catching up with all your antics.
    Fantastic photos of your very special day with your old pal. How great is that! And I liked the oldie photos too. So glad you've been reunited. Good on you both.
    Glad Geraldine has been enjoying the book.
    Much love
    Shents x

    ReplyDelete
  4. A moving blog! :P

    (I'm glad to hear).

    ReplyDelete
  5. A helpfull hint (maybe!) learnt when hiking.
    Rolls are bulky and if they get damp useless, snaffle paper napkins from cafes/resaurants and tuck in pockets.
    Keep up the great blog, question, when are we going to hear singingJulie sing, i sense an operatic interlude at the crown some time soon :).
    Cheers J.P.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi JP - A version of "Happy Birthday Mr President" Munroe-esque style including the right sexy clobber [Can clobber ever be sexy - Answer: Only when worn by Julie ;o0 ] is my request for the lunch on Tues, 2nd November JP (not my actual birthday 'cos I have a special treat in store on the Wednesday - the nurses at the St Lukes chemo centre will be blowing me candle out!!!!!!!!

    Can't wait LOL

    Cheers mate - be there or be square (hope to see you beforehand tho'; but time and tide and all that crap........

    David

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well i never new about you and Munroe, quite a few links there (blowin me candle out) candle in the wind methinks appropriate.
    wheras for me Munro bagging is a daunting prospect.

    Cheers J.P.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Vix - so very much said with so very few words, I'm guessing (?) you must know your way around a good story ;o)

    lots of ....

    David x

    ReplyDelete