Thursday 13 January 2011

Thanks for the therapies!


Today sees me once again taking full advantage of the alternative therapies on offer at The Fountain Centre, Guildford where I am booked for my first two sessions since the holidays: Accupuncture/Shiatsu massage with Stuart Ravell, who amazingly fixed my two supposedly arthritic shoulders; a legacy from twenty years of rugby (hope he has some success with these current pains I'm now suffereing through my cancer and it's treatment), and Fiona's fascinating Art Meditation classes which produced our Christmas/New Year card last year, and has reignited my artistic tendencies. I hope that Stuart and Pethidine can control the pian to allow me to benefit fully from the meditaion though I might just like Fi's soothing hands on my shoulders again to help me relax.

Willow Bracket
Turkey Tail
As some of you may have picked up on, one of my retirement hobbies is amateur mycology or fungus spotting (Panic not ye of so little faith I don't even own an anorak!) which initially back in 2006 I combined with my love of photography and as such I organize, on a strictly informal basis, a group of local enthusiasts called the Mushketeers (but please keep that under your hat). Earlier this week I managed two outings to local known hot spots where, although it's not ideally the best time of year for fungi, we had some limited success and anyway the fresh air, albeit a bit dank at present, the good company and thye pub lunches all serve to raise my spirits at what is currently quite a difficult time. Apart from the more regular participants it was wonderful to meet up again with Sally and Ian Tyler, old hands who have been away on a sejourn to Oslo for a couple of years and are now back home in the UK: As ever, in days gone by, the first view as you enter the car parking area is Sally's pert bottom sticking inthe air as she endeavours to tie her boot laces; some things never  change, thankfully! (and no I don't have photographs and ceratinly would not serve such embarrasssment on Sally even if  I did - not much anyway, as I go off in search of my files..... lol)

Yellow Brain Fungus

Mushketeers Julie and Mike


The dog walking community still flourishes on regular jaunts and I have now nearly finished oraganzing our postponed Skittles evening at the Frog and Wicket in Eversley.


A very pleasant interlude yesterday involved meeting up with my daughter Jennie, who, with a rare window of opportunity managed to get away from her hectic schedule as mother of two, personal trainer and running club organizer, and avid concert, as in gig, goer, in order to pick up me and Chaka for a quick walk around Minley and a pub lunch at the Crown and Cushion (surprise, surprise!)


All in all quite a successful and satisfying week and gauranteed to deflect the spears and arrows of Goliath and his minionss that have been raining down on me since Christmas.


One immediate and not so positive Post Script is that Geraldine came home and unexpectedly annouced she had been to see Dr Robinson and was now on two weeks sick leave; him having expressed to her his surprise that she'd manage to hold this long. Enter guilty feelings now on my part engendered by how unobservant I and others had been (Jenny and I both agreed at lunch yesterday that Gerladine seemed to be coping much better). But it's partly due to G being able to shield everyone from knowing exactly how she is feeling for my sake. I would have hoped that friends and colleagues would have raised the alarm bells even if she was prepared to soldier on courageously. I sense it's not a particularly healthy state of affairs despite all her good intentions to save me any more worry.


As for that pesky pussycat Bailey, he's continually on my case..........



.

7 comments:

  1. Hi David

    Tough times indeed for you all. Sorry to hear that your lovely G has been signed off work, but I hope you'll both use the time to lift each others spirits despite the situation you're in. 'Quality time' in amongst all the crap will do you both the world of good - though its easy for me to say that. Lunching, walking, mushrooming - whatever makes you both happy - do it as much as you can.
    Much love to you both
    Shents xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David,

    Good to hear you sounding back in the driving seat again and GREAT news about the shoulders too!

    Geraldine has coped fantastically well and now more than deserves a few weeks away from work to recuperate and get her thoughts into order. Send her a big hug from me please - I've also noticed how hard everything has been on Rab, he's muddled through without complaining at all but I know it's all got to him recently.

    Lovely that you had some unexpected time with Jennie too :-)

    Thank you for the generous donation to my chosen charity, Trinity Hospice - much appreciated. Let me know when you are doing your fundraising stint.
    Much luv as always - Carole xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. David, always remember you are number one priority along your journey - carers can get their own help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you're having a soothing time today, David & good to hear you more cheerful. Poor Geraldine, I do feel for her, but hope you can both have a rest & some quality time together.
    Love
    Liz xx
    ps One of my brothers played cricket for Eversley in the 80s, small world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisa, Carole and Liz, thank you all so much for your kind thoughts and words of encouragement. I'm going to take some time out of the "rat race" and spend a couple of weeks of quality time with David do "us" things and stop trying to be wonderwoman and keeping on top of everything :-) It is wonderful to see the support that you all have for each other and I am priviledged to be part of your community. Love and Hugs to all Geraldine xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been thinking of you a lot, Geraldine, having been a caregiver once and knowing how very important it is to do "us" things.

    Take care of that big red head for me. If I were over on your side of the Big Pond, I'd take a turn listening to his blether! HAHAHA!

    Honestly, my thoughts and prayers are with you both at this time.

    Love

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pat, thank you for your thoughts and prayers they are very much appreciated and I certainly will take care of him :-) I do try and get a therapy session once a week and take some quiet time out.

    Love Geraldine x

    ReplyDelete