Tuesday 8 February 2011

It's Good News Week

"Have you heard the news?
What did it say?
Who's won that race?
What's the weather like today?"



Though long overdue my news is a mixed bag and I apologise for not responding to the many pleas for an update. Unfortunately current circumstances over the last few weeks have made a once comfortable situation, perched at my computer whiling away the sleepless hours, now almost intolerable as the acute pain roams around my thorax.


Central to my coping strategies of late has been the battle to control this pain. Recently when it became necessary to have a wisdom tooth extracted my 6th bout of chemo was postponed and blood tests and a CT scan were booked prior to my visit to the dentist. The upshot of all this was, good on the one hand in that clearance was efected for a wholly successful exctraction and consequentially on the other hand, whilst not quite such good news in many respects owing to the results of the scan. It was decided that there was no further benefit from my continuing on the Real 3 chemo trial: The balance had shifted and although Goliath himself was still very much subduded, two of his henchmnen had returned from Al Queda trainging camps and reinforced their positions in two of the secondary locations; namely lungs and liver. Control of the suspected referral pain resulting from this stance by the enemy is now top priority and to this end a bed is being sought in the Phyllis Tuckwell Hospice to enable some inpatient observation as they try and balance the dosage of painkillers. In the meantime the research team at Guildford, under the guidance of my consultant, are looking for the best of a number of options on the route ahead; to be discussed at a clinic on Thursday.


So it's back in a state of limbo, with a rest period from further chemo treatment (and no option for radiotherapy because of the juxtapositionof the various mets and vital organs), waiting on and monitoring developments of now unrestrained tumours: A somewhat nervous state of affairs being engaged in the next indecisive lap of this relay race. Thankfully my faith in the expertise a nd co-operation of all the elements of my care team makes sure I never drop the baton on the forward progress aimed at 'Stayin Alive'. As far as Goliath and his minions are concerened they will be smothered with love, overpowered with exercise, buried in good food or failing that drowned in alcohol.




P.S. 09.30am Hospice just rung to say there is a bed available for me today; so let's go get this sorted out!


Love and light to one and all


David [X]

Chaka offers to keep my spot on the sofa in the sunshine but complains the water bottle has gone cold

12 comments:

  1. Hi David
    This would be a good time to rest up and muster inner resources whilst availing yourself of the complimentary therapies on offer at the hospice. I’ve no doubt your team will gain control of the pain and come up with another plan better suited to gaining more ground from the enemy within. You have huge amounts of inner courage, strength and resolve, so I’m pretty sure that you will do your best to knock these minions for six. We're right behind you, sending strength and healing.
    I love the music you’ve selected today. There was something particularly magical about the 60s and early 70s don’t you think? Such happy times, often the vibes felt ‘expectant’, vibrant and full of energy. Or was that because we were just young back then Lol?
    Peace, Love and Light to you and to Geraldine.
    Crystal xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do hope they can make the damned pain go away, David, then life will be a whole lot better. I'm a firm believer in exercise being a major player in beating this evil disease & that, together with your positive attitude, will do much to bring about the telegram from King Charles!I hope I'm still around & we are still friends so that I can wish you a happy 100th xx

    ps A hug to Geraldine & also to Chaka, who looks quite peeved that you are going away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Broadcasting from the Phyllis Tuckwell Hospice internet cafe as the wi-fi link in the ward is being overhauled so no pics as yet of the lovely spring flowers which greeted us on a stroll round the gardens on admiision yesterday. the accommodation is five star and the staff are even more illuminating. No sleep last night as the eebie jeebies roaming rpund my thorax were unabated and the pain management regime is going to take some time to balance.

    Looking forward to seeing Geraldine, Jennie and Chaka for a walk at nearby Alice Holt Forest and lunch at the Barley Mow.

    Cheers and keep yourm peckers up

    David

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, while in the Hospice you are about 5km from where I spent many childhood summers, staying with my cousins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the luck in the world to you David.You are in good hands and will hopefully be back mushroom picking soon.Huge hugs.
    Rose xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi folks, thanks for caring - I am so glad to report that last night I settled down on ward in my bedside recliner with "Bird Song" on my Kindle at 10 pm and before finishing the first page of the book the next thing I knew it was 01.00 and feeling relaxed and refreshed .....thank you Gabapentin and Merlot Sauvignon Cabernet you've no idea how good that feels. :0)

    Later today, now that The Real 3 trial has sucessfully run it's course as far as I am concerned, I have a clinic at St Luke's CC in Guildford to reveiew my onoing treatment with the Consultant Oncologist. feeling very upbeat about the immediate future despite knowing that apart from the symptom management I will not be zapping Goliath and his cronies with anything while my body recouperates. Hope they don't gain too much of an advanatge in the meantime; but rest assured we'll be keeping a weathered eye out and make sure we ready for them!

    I feel a jaunt in the sunshine coming on: Malta, Spain, Cyprus, Greece or Mauritius - decisions..... decisions!

    Now where's that lovely nurse with my painkillers, coffee and a Twirl?

    Love and light to one and all

    David [[[XXX]]]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why pick one - go to all of them, I'm sure Gerry won't complain of some sunshine with her hubby ;-) - sending you lots of love and rest, ready for the next stage of kicking "you know who" well into touch - thinking of you guys all the time - go get them David, Tash x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its so good to hear from you again, David - you've been a big miss to our little blogging community over the last couple of weeks.
    I really hope they can get you sorted out with the pain so that you can enjoy the finer things in life to the full.
    Birdsong is an amazing book - though I'm surprised you dropped off at the beginning as its fairly racy at the start!
    Much love as always
    Shents x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello everyone, just to give you an update - David has managed to break the internet connection at Phyllis Tuckwell Hospice :-( so until their IT wizards get it fixed he will be out of communication. So its back to the Kindle for more Birdsong.

    Progress with balancing the drug regime continues with some success although sleep still seems to manage to evade him for most of the night, I guess one benefit of that is that the other chaps in the room are spared listening to him snoring (oh I am going to be in so much trouble now!!).

    On a positive note he is managing to "escape" during the day for a short walk with me, Chaka, family and friends - and of course taking a quick detour via the local pub before settling back in for the day.

    More news to follow.

    Carole - David said thank you so much for the card, it has pride of place on his bedside cabinet next to his bottle of Merlot.

    I hope you are all keeping safe and well.

    Love and hugs from Geraldine xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad it arrived Geraldine and glad he's managing to get out with you for his daily walks and pub visits...can only do him good :-)

    Much luv xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. He broke the Internet! That's my specialty. I am sure they will have the sleep and pain sorted out soon. I am glad you can get over for walks, Geraldine, and bring Chaka. That is great medicine. And thank you for taking the time to give us an update.
    Hugs to you both, Pilla xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for updating us Geraldine, it’s much appreciated. I do hope that any pain is now being effectively managed and that David is able to get out and about with you, his family and Chaka.
    You’re all in my thoughts and sending you strength and healing hugs.
    Love and Light
    Crystal xx

    ReplyDelete