Friday 5 November 2010

Birthday and Real3 Update

Thank you all for your kind birthday wishes and you will see from my blog that it was a memorable and ongoing three days of celebrations, including on the day itself, Wednesday, 3rd November 2010, on the occasion of my 62nd birthday, I, The Coward of the County, was treated to round 3 of the the one sided contest against that well known piece of shit Mr Goliath Golytely, laxative to celebrity and cancer tumour oesohageal, who has been AWOL for two weeks now. Apart from the usual side effects, much less in intensity at this phase, which I have now learned to expect following immediately after the intravenous infusions; the sore and bruised veins in the arm with the broken glass shards running through them; the NP in fingers, mouth and toes: the chronic constipation and the lack of energy, I am not suffering too badly and it was it only took 3 hours total from start to finish. I'm not sure whether it's because my toleration factor has increased or that the nurses couldn't get rid of me quickly enough having rejected my birthday request for a mass bed bath on the grounds that it was definitely NOT part of the Real3 trial protocol. On returning home via lunch at the Crown and Cushion and a visit to see the in-laws for a cup of tea and to inspect their newly redecorated living and dining rooms, I discovered the final piece in the birthday gift jig-saw puzzle which my dog walking friends had conjured up. My front lawn was decorated with a fairy ring of 21 carved wooden mushrooms bearing the name of all my local friends and their canine/feline charges burnt etched into the caps

wooden-IMG_1037.jpg

Faerie-RingIMG_1101-1_edite.jpg

After a final visit over the road to share a glass of champers with our elderly neighbours Jim and Joan who brought us up to date with his final session of radiotherapy for lower bowel cancer we finally spent a quiet night in with a take away and bottle of The Black Stump shiraz which Gary our nephew helped us finish off when he popped in with my very cheeky card and his tripod that I wished to borrow.

Yesterday saw a walk with Chaka at Caesar's Camp in the company of Caroline, ring leader of the pressies campaign, and her canine charges (the autumn colours, so spendidly late to arrive and appearing to be short lived this year, were magnificent)

Caesars-camp-04.11-IMG_1166.jpg

followed by a lazy afternoon before a lovely dinner out at the newly refurbished Swan at Ash Vale with Geraldine's work colleague and friend Paula and her partner Pete. It was a pleasure to see Geraldine smiling so much for a change:

swan IMG_1044_edited-1.jpg

And so to bed early for a rare bit of shut eye until waking up in the early hours to seek the comfort of the upright position at the table in front of my computer!



That's all for now folks

Cheers

David
[[[xxx]]]

4 comments:

  1. WOW! What a birthday! I'm not sure you could have packed any more events or love and friendship into it! Perfect.
    LOVE the mushrooms - what an absolutely splendid thing to do.
    Many happy returns to you from a dull, grey, wet, windy, but equally beautiful Autumnal Northumberland.
    You're doing great bonny lad xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a thoughtful and very beautiful present of the fairy ring, I love it. The photo of Geraldine is lovely and how happy Chaka is in the lovely autumn countryside. You are a very lucky man David, and I know you know that.
    Hope all is well today and you’re not suffering after the infusion of yesterday.
    Love and Hugs
    Crystal xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girls; it was certainly quite a week to remember - just about recovered now but it has left some really warm feelings. Thanks for all your good wishes here and elsewhere.

    Hope life's treating you both as well as can be expected.


    David
    [[XX]]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heya, I tried returning your call today, always engaged! :) I'll try again tomorrow. - Just thought I'd let you know. :)
    Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete