Tuesday 2 November 2010

IF (a picture paints a thousand words)




Being totally lost for words, the only way to express my thanks and appreciation to those dear friends who joined me for lunch at the Crown & Cushion today to celebrate my birthday, is to leave it to Bread's lyrics, and  upload some of the photos I managed to capture between some very emotional phases.


Thank you one and all (and a mention here especially for Caroline for sowing the seeds and to Fiona and Anna for fertilizing the ideas and nuturing to maturity, and everyone else for running with it) for the thoughts and efforts which went into choosing some truly precious gifts & cards, not the least of which were the hugs and kisses from a host of beautiful girls, and all the wonderful company which made it such a happy occasion. It will be a day forever etched in my memory and a reminder that there is, after all, so much love in the world if you make a tiny effort to find it.


It would be totally remiss of me not to mention the the kindness and co-operation of Julie and William, 'mine host' at the Crown and Cushion, (I promise we will get a link to your website as soon as Gary finishes his commission) and their bar and kitchen staff, especially Gerome, and 'Chef' who prepared the most exquisite Wild Mushroom Tagliatelle using some of the choice edibles collected that very morning by Julie Campbell and Pete Comely from the woods adjacent to the pub. The delicious birthday cakes supplied by the pub were so popular, especially for 'take-homes' for the kiddies, that I only managed a slice or two of each. [My research team at St Luke's say I have to stay fat to combat Goliath and his minions! ;O) ]


Last but not least I have to thank both Geraldine for taking time off work and stretching the good will of her boss, Ian Grant, HR Director at Bae Systems, even further, and to Jennie for making sure her busy life style did not interfere with her desire to support her dear ol' Dad.


In signing off I make three toasts: "A pretty girl is like a melody", so today I enjoyed a full blown symphony, "Good ale, the true and proper drink of Englishmen" and "to absent friends", Not forgetting, in particular, Phil whose absence, and moreover whose anguish at the tragic loss of his close friend is sympathetically understood. Lastly and without doubt leastly "Good riddance to Goliath, and long may he stay AWOL!"


Sorry, did I say earlier that I was lost for words ...............here are the photos ('loadsa smiles' says it all !) :

Jennie, Stephanie, Bob (jnr), Fiona, Anna, Lisa, Toni, Jeanette, Pete, Julie, Bob (ster) and, last but not least, Geraldine (typically Caroline, who's modesty is matched only by her beauty, both inner and outer, was outside with Chaka)
'Fun guy' Pete & 'Fun gal' Julie with choice edibles
My borrowed poppy separates Fi (left) and Fi (right)






"See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" - Steph, Caroline and Toni; guess who's wearing a 3M* bra?

Lisa, Toni and Jet laughing at my 'flash'!
Bob exercising his bragging rights to an astonished Fi-Fi, whilst Julie and Pete remain unimpressed!

Like a dog with two...................cakes!
*The secret of Toni's 3M bra:
(Disclaimer: I have no idea whatsoever if the boobs in the video in any way resemble Toni's curvaceous orbs)

 

And anyway, as can be seen from this latest photo taken on returning home from round three of Real 3 on Wednesday, I believe in the Flower Faerie in the ring who has promised me all will be revealed!

WOW! Each of the 21 exquisitely turned mushrooms has the name of a friend and or canine/feline pal burnt etched into the cap.




7 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Dear David
    And Many Happy Returns of This Day.
    The Wish - anonymous
    Each birthday wish
    I've ever made
    Really does come true
    Each year I wish
    I'll grow some more
    And every year
    I DO!
    The photos are lovely and the laughter says it all, and look at the Birthday Boy, the picture of health and with Two cakes!! It seems you had a very special birthday lunch shared with very special people. I’d love to post a cake here for you, but unfortunately it’s not possible to post images into Blog Comments, which is just as well really.
    Talking of food, I cooked the Pork Stroganoff with Three Mustards on Sunday evening and it was absolutely delicious, and very quick and easy to do, so thanks for posting Delia’s recipe with a ‘David twist’.
    Love and Hugs
    Crystal xx
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine”. -Frank Sinatra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday tooo you
    Happy Birthday tooooo yoooou
    Happy Birthday Dear Daaaavid
    Happeeeeeeeeeee Birthdaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay ToooooooooOOooooooo YooooOOOoooooooOOooou!

    :D

    Have as good a day as it is possible to have today! I hope the nurses are extra good to you today :)

    Take Care
    Vix

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you a Happy Birthday and many more to come David....
    Much luv, Carole and family xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you had a fab dayThose cakes look gorgeous!A day to remember for a long long time.
    Rose xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks girls and I am going to do my upmost to make sure I am here next year to hear Vix sing it again; this time dressed in that classic white Marilyn Munroe oufit as I know she has the figure for it even if she might not have the voice I wil be happy (don't worry about finding an air ventilator grill as I will still have enough puff!) ;o)

    loadsaluv

    David [[[[xxxx]]]]

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the way crystal at my age I might be shrinking slightly in stature, not that you would notice, but I am certainly growing in my wealth of friendships.

    blees you
    David [C]X

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS Can't think why but the nurses couldn't get me out the door fast enough; apparently a mass bed bath is NOT part of my Real3 trial protocol ;o) And i didn't even get the offer of one of the luxury choccie biscuits I took in for them for coffee brake. They said "What coffee break?)

    But they were extra gentle with me, honest! :o)

    ReplyDelete