Wednesday 17 November 2010

A 'Shrooming we will go..........

A view over Minley Farm looking in the direction of Fleet and Farnham at about 4.30 as the sun set on another beautiful day spent with Caroline and Bob and a motley crew of canine buddies (it was a mixture of thick fog patches in the morning and bright sunshine by late afternoon), and  I wend my way home weary but very happy indeed; with plans to make wild mushroom soup  from all the various species of edible fungi collected over the past week.



Coming right up to date this morning, after the best night's sleep ever since this journey began and before I head off into the distance down the M4 to Sherston to see Ian (into the path of some pretty atrocious, wet and windy weather by all accounts), I will say that last night's supper was hugely successful: being unaware of my plans Geraldine had brought home a microwaveable ready-to-go curry; very thoughtful after our respective busy days. But I was still raring to go so spent the evening making the tastiest wild mushroom soup ever, using Cauliflower Fungus, Wood Blewits, Oyster Mushrooms and Winter (Trumpet)Chanterelles - garnished with sautéed Chanterelles and Wood Hedgehogs and roasted Walnuts and Hazel cobs. (We usually abhor tins of mushroom soup, likening them to heated up dish water, but this stuff was seriously tasty, tasty very, very tasty!)


Cauliflower Fungus

Winter (Trumpet)  Chanterelle

Wood Blewit
Half of the choice ingredients were supplied by Julie Campbell, Leader of the local ABFG Foray Group - 'Shrooms, (hence the title of todays' episode) with whom I sallied forth last Sunday morning on a very successful outing at Church Crookham. So thank you for your generosity and companionship lovely lady; even though, as can be seen from the next photo, you did reject my application to join the Snake Tongue Truffle Club (Cordyceps ophioglossoides to you too!)


[Glad to see that, at least today, Julie's 'collar and cuffs' do match, but suggest that some urgent personal grooming is required in the nether regions  ;O) ]



Despite some atrocious driving conditions on the M4, the trip to Sherston was a real pleasure and it was so good to see Ian and Annette in high spirits with that ol' twinkle in the eyes again. Ian's home grown, home cooked vegetable soup was as good and as filling as ever. Thank you both for the cracking Xmas present, which, as you hinted, Geraldine gave me permission to open on returning home - your winning smiles will be the first photo to get printed as a reminder that cancer is the only loser in our world, and that the warmth and happiness radiating around that huge rambling kitchen in the Crouch homestead means we will overcome whatever lays ahead. As long as Netty has hugs to spare and share I will be back soon to the Cotswolds for more of this tonic:


Sherston, Wiltshire (Crouch homestead central on skyline with two chimneys)

N.B. In my rush to get safely home and out of the fierce winds and driving rain I have lost yet another (3 now in quick succession) cell phone when I stopped at Membury Services to fill up with petrol. Heard a clunk as I got out the car and it fell from my pocket, but it did not register and after a cursory glance around the forecourt and under the car I abandoned any further searching not realising the significance and the implications. Consequently I was more concerned carrying out a frantic search of all my various pockets, in trousers, shirt and gilet, for the one and only credit card that would prevent me being marooned with an empty tank. I am retitling the following song "Incommunicado" C'est la vie!:

7 comments:

  1. You have a great taste in music.did you ever hearJanis Ian or Lesley Duncan ?They were 2 of my favourites.Bread and Moody Blues were fab.Glad you are continuing to feel well,long may it continue.
    Rose xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have lost contact with almost everybody from the old gang and often wondered how you were doing.
    So good to hear from you again... although I wish your news were brighter.

    I have had some trouble reading here.
    My macular degeneration has taken a serious turn for the worse and the white letters on dark background are not helping much... but I was able to appreciate the situation, your impeccable writing, your strength and your sense of humour.

    I tried to e-mail you earlier but your old address does not seem to work. Mine is still the same, will you send me a brief message and let me know your current one?

    I could almost sense the heavenly aroma of your mushroom soup, I am drooling and you are so bad! =]

    Much, much love,

    Rania

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kalispera Rania

    Even without my my mind being fogged by the toxic mists it is proving difficult to recall an addy from way back. But so pleased you've made contact again

    love and light

    David [X]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rose

    obviously our theme should be "talking 'bout my generation"

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqfFrCUrEbY

    lol

    David 'Who' Edington

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you know how I love your photos and how I envy the greens and golds of your country.
    I would have liked to counterattack with clear blues and deep turquoises from my own country.

    The quality of my photos is nowhere near yours of course but some of them are not too shabby.
    Anyway, if you remember my old handle from the old place, that's it @hotmail.com

    We are all in good health but otherwise the general situation here is getting uglier and scarier by the day.
    It hurts like hell to sit and watch my country being systematically demolished by a bunch of rascally traitors.
    May God help us all...

    Lots of love,

    Rania

    ReplyDelete