Thursday 23 September 2010

Ahead on points after the first round

Weighing in at 106 kilos and in good time for an eight o'clock start for my first bout with that over-weight pansy in the blue corner with 'Chemo' emblazoned in pink sequins on his shorts; the other contender for the EOX heavyweight title, I climbed into the ring at St Luke's at 07.45 yesterday morning. After a trouble free journey and an almost unlimited choice of parking I was definitely looking favourite for the fight, but an early low punch rocked me back on my haunches when, after some preliminary sparring and the loss of a little blood, it was discovered that two of the ringside judges, namely 'research' and 'pharmacy' had forgotten to discuss the rules about allowing drugs in this particular contest and as a result mine were not available. The fight was postponed for a couple of hours while me and my cannula took refuge in the tranquility of the Fountain Centre charity dressing room. Unfortunately my confidence was tearfully undermined when browsing the bookshelf I spotted a tome entitled 'Dying Well'. After some counselling by one of the lovely volunteers, a rub down with a wet tissue and some refreshment in the shape of coffee and dunked ginger nuts I was back in the fray with even more determination to conquer. I guess that I had reached a watershed and that after weeks of training and building up my strength, both physically and mentally, to peak fitness the realisation of actual combat suddenly hit me: And that was the only thing I was going to let hit me for the rest of the day!


Back in my corner of the Chilworth Suite day ward, and with the gloves off, the referee, Leanne (Chemo Support Sister), noticed that my cannula was not fitted properly and quickly replaced it with another one further up my forearm before manually administering the first 'Epirubicin' jabs which reigned down for about half an hour. Undaunted I settled into a defensive stance for a two hour tirade of pumped punches of 'Oxaliplatin' which proved so lightweight that I was able to enjoy the total distraction of photo editing on my laptop with an interval when lunch was served. During the whole onslaught I felt none of the blows which the aggressor hinted might be coming my way and by 3 o'clock I was back in the safety of my corner with my lovely second, Natalie the trainee on my research team armed with a bag full of tablets and a schedule for continuing the tussle at home with some powerful anti-emetic and of course the 'X' Factor - 'Capecitabine'; apparently with a bigger ego than Simon Cowell!


So far since leaving St Lukes I have discovered the mild side effects of glancing blows in the form of a very tender left forearm up the vein where the drip was administered, which responded well to over the counter painkillers, and the tingling, needles and pins feeling in fingers (cue for a Searchers song which no doubt dates me) and mouth which rendered my celebratory pint of Bishops Finger on the way home a wee bit of a challenge owing to the susceptibility to cold and the fact that it tasted as if it had been laced with space dust.


Chaka was glad of our arrival home especially as I felt well enough to enable us take him for a long walk in Minley Wood where we discovered a cache of fresh Chanterelles which I prepared, in my favourite fashion (see Menus page) for Geraldine's supper. Unfortunately being somewhat exhausted by the day's events I only had the appetite for an Activia yogurt as basis for my tablet intake, and an early night, which, as you will realise reading the post time on this episode, was short lived. In all honesty I don't feel particularly poorly in the immediate aftermath but I suspect that may change over the next few days: Que sera,sera!


I had intended to put in a brief appearance at my daughter's 36th birthday bash just to let her know her ol' 'champ' was still in there scrapping like a good 'un, but that would have been a bridge too far and being there in spirit was sufficient.

9 comments:

  1. Hi David
    It sounds as though yesterday was quite a trying and emotional day, but as it was all new, that is understandable. Once a routine is established I’m sure your confidence will increase and you’ll feel more optimistic about dealing with the treatment.
    It’s early days yet, but later on if you start to feel nausea or food begins to taste metallic, then pineapple (fresh or tinned) and Elderflower Cordial (not sparkling) are well known to help with these side effects, as is fresh ginger root.
    Your Chanterelles a la Dijonnaise sound mouth-watering, and I think you must be a mycologist to be able to identify edible species of fungus, especially as you include the great photos, is this correct?
    Thank you for sharing that lovely verse with us, it was very moving and a great tribute to you from your daughter.
    Hoping today is a good day for you, and we’re all here if you need us.
    Crystal xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Round 1 done and dusted.What an emotionally draining day but before you know it you will be giving advice to the new people arriving for treatment !!Try not to fight your body,if you feel tired ,rest and dont feel guilty.It took me months to watch daytime TV without feeling guilty.Just promise me that you will not watch any of those terrible chat shows like Jeremy Kyle !!
    Go with it David,good luck.
    Rose xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hugs David....am glad you had a lovely volunteer there to sort you out.
    It was always going to be a very emotional day but finding that particular book must have felt like a below the belt punch.
    You'll be fine on this treatment, watched like a hawk and treated with lots of TLC (and ginger biscuits) along the way.

    It can only get better now :-)
    Carole xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done David.
    Hope you hoyed the book in the bin and replaced it with a bottle of Bishop's Finger and a packet of ginger biscuits for the next person to find.
    If I had my way, cancer hospitals would be full of Beano Annuals, beautiful artwork and photographs on the walls, grand pianos, and people offering you a gin and tonic with canopes as you entered the building.
    You're doing great
    Much love
    Shents x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you lovely ladies - getting over the abrasions of my first bout, the only thing out of the question is bathing my bruised knuckles in a bowl of ice - ouch! The tingling and suscetiblity to cold is the only side effect to have presented immediateley but apart from that I am now feeling quite well; even to the extent of an uninterrupted night's sleep. Goliath is rebelling a little but its good to know he's realised he in for an good kicking.

    Yes Crystal I do combine hobbies of photography with amateur mycology. Have to admit that verse brought morethan one tear to my eye.

    I rested up all day yesterday Rose, though we had a string of visitors to the house and our first contact with a representative from The Phyllis Tuckwell Hopsice in Farnham who are going to be providing some home support in the same way as MacMillan would. I've applied to the JK show to have a DNA test in order to serve a paternity order on Goliath LOL

    Hi Carol, discovering the services of The Foutain Centre drop-in within St Luke's was a boon and apart from a relaxing place to while away any waiting time at the hospital I am eligible for four sessions of alternative therapies such as Rekei, Art Meditation, Acupuncture etc.

    Good geordie advice thanks Shents, and I soon found a comfortable sofa with my back to the bookshelf with a view of a marvellous David Shepherd Watercolour of a pony which reminded me of the wonderful weekend just spent in the New Forest prior to sterting treatment.

    Love and big cyber hugs to you all

    Seconds away, Round 2 here I come!

    David

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done mate, I know the word inspiration is bandied about alot and sometimes you only have to smile to gain the title however you are a 'true' inspiration to us all....the pain behind the jovial words is evident - however keep it up!

    All the very best!

    Tony S

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi David,

    The first day is always the worst. Hopefully it will be easier next time. Do take advantage of all the Hospice have to offer you. I volunteer at our local hospice and know first hand how much the treatments etc can help. I did my platelet donation on Tuesday. Don't know if you are having that treatment. Makes it all worth while if I thought you were getting my platelets!! Love Shirley Hill

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best wishes to you David, the road you have already travelled has been an obviously emotionally trying one and I am in awe of your humour and positivity throughout it all. I have no personal experience of what you are going through and so I can only offer my heartfelt support to you albeit only ever in the virtual land of cyberspace.

    With love and best wishes to you and all members of your family I look forward to hearing about Goliath going into remission and throwing in his towel and gloves!
    Vix
    X

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tony - from a man of your calibre and an untiring prop to others in the same dire straits, I humbly accept your words of praise. Thanks and a big manly hug from one big fella to another.

    Hello Shirley - Rest assured I will be making good use of all the support available, and I have been made aware of the effect that the chemo can have on my platelet count so will be sure to be taking extra care of myself this winter. Love to all the Hills, big and little X

    Hi Vix, my fellow fungiphile and wordsmith extroadinnaire. Thanks for touching base and sorry I will not be making The Clumber Park Foray this year to meet up with you and the rest of the WAB gang.

    Love and best wishes to you and yours X

    ReplyDelete