Wednesday 29 September 2010

Today's Gonna Be Good Day

Today's Gonna Be Good Day ......... "Oh yes it is!"


After the previous 24 hours of increasing pain and discomfort I was beginning to over react to my perception of what the impact of all this was having on me: "Every facet of my life; my appetite, my routine, my activities, my hobbies, my pleasures, my plans, and every inch of my body, from the hair on my head to the soles of my feet, will gradually be invaded by the effects of the disease and it's treatment. How on earth am I going to cope with whatever the future may throw my way if I can't cope with the minor irritations that have presented so far?....... just as long as the emotional weaponry in the armoury stays serviceable and effective I am fighting hard to control the physical and practical aspects; but for how long and in face of what unknown horrors ahead?"


And all because of the frustration of having to cancel a foray with friends to The Vyne NT estate at Basingstoke yesterday morning. This was due to my now unblocked bowels having cleared with a vengeance several times since early that morning. The ensuing build up of painful wind throughout the day meant that I had very little respite and no chance to catch up on near complete loss of sleep from the previous night's tumour pains, which are proving to be steadily more persistent. Eventually, with overall control restored by use of several over the counter remedies, I did manage to sleep through the discomfort, waking only once briefly at midnight, until five o'clock. At which time it dawned on me that I felt rested and comfortable and if this was to be the pattern, albeit with variable degrees of severity, that good days would follow bad days then, compared to the indescribable anguish and risks to life which several friends, both real and cyber who are also suffering with various forms of cancer, are facing right now, who was I to complain and start feeling fragile!




I'll report back later.


P.S. 09.30 - Tesco home delivery service just arrived with necessary ingredients, so time to get out the Le Creuset casserole and russell up a large batch (16 portions according to the recipe) of Delia's Authentic Ragu Bolognese sauce - should be ready in four hours; just in time to meet Caroline for what looks like being a wet expedition with the dogs.


P.P.S. 20.30 - I can confirm it did indeed turn out to be a good day, though somewhat dull and grey weatherwise this afternoon, during a walk to Long Bottom Pool at Ceasar's Camp, Aldershot with the Anna (thanks for the piccie), Caroline, Jeanette and their canine charges. But when you have such great company the sunshine in their smiles banishes any gloom.

A motley mud splattered crew - Caroline, Jasper, me and Chaka (playing the green eyed monster)

Top photo taken on ridge under trees (centre horizon)
Later in the day, after collecting Geraldine from work and having the opportunity to thank her boss for making things that much easier for us through his understanding and co-operation, we had an early supper at The Forresters in Church Crookham before driving home tired but happy.

7 comments:

  1. Hi David, just a quick piece of advice - get help (prescriptions!) for any minor niggles before they become major niggles, that way life is much more comfortable. Loving your blog & the photos are superb. Hope you start feeling better soon, but in the meantime, take comfort in the fact that the beast within you is suffering more!
    Liz xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lizzy

    Sometimes I wonder whether my body has any more room left for yet another pill, potion or unction but, despite feeling like a walking toxic recycling plant, I take on board your wise words and have already proved for myself how efficacious these day-to-day remedies can be. If only there was an equivalent universal panacea with which to batter the beast to death.
    Take care of yourself at this heart breaking juncture at which you, Pablo and the family have so cruelly arrived. You are in my thoughts.

    David [[[X]]]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi David
    Your sunny nature and gentle humour shine through in your blog, making it a joy to read, and the photos are wonderful.
    I’m sorry that you’re having to deal with some pain and I totally agree with Liz about controlling the minor pain before it becomes more difficult to manage. Glad to see you’re still using your culinary skills and I hope you’ll post some more of your favourite recipes when you get a chance. Maybe you could take photos of those dishes as well.
    Hoping today’s a sunny day where you are.
    Crystal xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi David,
    Hang in there and go with the flow,it gets easier as it goes on and you stop fighting the change.Smashing photos as usual.On the plus side think of the electricity you will save when you start glowing in the dark!!No needfor that bedside lamp any more!
    Good luck trial buddy
    Rose xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi David,
    I continue to hold you in my thoughts as you travel forward.
    We're of the same vintage, you and I.
    I'm 58, and retired two yrs ago after 35 yrs as an electrician.

    Take care, and we'll hope for the best as far as this treatment you're undergoing.

    Dave (Wireboltman at McMillan)

    ReplyDelete
  7. TY Dave Your kind words and thoughts much appreciated and returned in kind to wish you well too

    David

    ReplyDelete