Monday 13 September 2010

Wicked Weekend

Now before you all get too excited I am using the the alliterative adjective 'wicked' in its modern parlance of 'cool' rather than 'debauched', so sit back from the edge of your seats, curb the lascivious enthusiasm, settle down and I will explain.


After a somewhat hectic week and feeling a little jaded I was looking forward to a long lie-in on Saturday morning to view the last of this season's Tri Nations rugby matches between Australia and New Zealand. Naturally you can always trust a kid brother to scupper your plans and sure enough on waking up every phone in the house had a message requesting me to phone Sarah, my niece, in London. Wondering what the panic was I duly obliged and was greeted by the sound of Mike's voice offering to buy me lunch. Not that remarkable you may be thinking, but, considering that fifteen hours prior to that he was at home in Johannesburg, you can understand my surprise and delight at his unexpected arrival in the UK on a fleeting business trip. We arranged to meet for lunch at The Thames Court, Shepperton where we spent a leisurely afternoon catching up on all the family news over a few beers, a bottle of Chenin Blanc and good meal.

Yours truly, Sarah and Mike

As Mike was departing for Paris on Sunday, Geraldine and I rounded off the weekend by celebrating her brother Tony's birthday at our local, The Crown and Cushion, Minley: 'Go on then, if you insist, I think I can managed one more pint of Bishop's Finger!'

Gary, Chaka, Cheryl, Geraldine, Tony and Max
Now, just in case they think I'm carrying out my own treatment by drowning the tumours in alcohol, I really do need some peace and quiet before the next bout of scans and tests to determine my suitability for the trial.



3 comments:

  1. What a great surprise for you, David. Sounds like you made the most of it too. I really like the idea of drowning cancer in alcohol. What a lovely thought.
    Much love
    Shents x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is one trial I would like to be in,drowning the blighter in alcohol !!!Lovely pics and glad you had an uplifting weekend
    Rose xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi David
    It looks as though you had a really wicked weekend with your family and what a wonderful surprise for your brother to turn up like that. It seems you appreciate a glass or two of Real Ale, or Cask ale, as did I before surgery. I hope you’ll have lots more chillin’ wicked weekends, because a cool dude like you deserves them.
    Crystal xx

    ReplyDelete