Thursday 9 September 2010

Awaiting Trial



The picture was taken on Wednesday at The Belvedere Arms, Sunninghill during lunch with my wife and daughter after my appointment with Dr Middleton, the oncology consultant. The pained smile reflects the fact that my esteemed crowning glory (glowing golden in the sunlight, above) had potentially just been given its marching orders. The explanation rests in this summary of my current situation following the latest news revealed earlier in the day by the good doctor and Mary Townsend, the Nurse Specilaist, who, prior to my appointment and inbetween her ward round and clinic, kindly managed to squeeze me in for a long chat so that I could run a few things past her.

So what is the current state of play? 

The long and the short of it, having now had the opportunity to discuss my situation at length with three members of the MDT, is that Goliath* is a Stage 4 cancer consisting of a T3 tumour of approx 10cm in the lower end of the oesophagus (from 35-44cm). The cancer has spread to nearby lymph nodes in the form of small peritumoural nodal disease, and to a larger (approx 19mm) node in the hepatogastric ligament (between the liver and stomach) . There is also an infected node in the thoracic inlet (in the region of my neck). It is also staged as M1 because of secondary (metastatic) cancer in the L3 vertebrae of my lower (lumbar) spine and also a suspicion of metastases in my liver and lungs.

Because the nodal disease in the thoracic inlet is inoperable there is no curative treatment available and so palliative chemotherapy is the option open to me as the best way forward.

According to Dr Middleton the nature of the primary tumour and the node in the hepatogastric ligament give good indications that, subject to a further CT scan and tests, I may well meet the criteria for inclusion on the Real 3** research trial at St Lukes Cancer Centre, Guildford. Dr Middleton has outlined what this would involve and I am very amenable to the idea; despite the fact I will lose my hair as the result of a known side effect of epirubicin. Other considerations in this respect include diarrhea, (I may live to rue the day I said this, but in view of how all this started out,a change is as good as a rest as far as I'm concerned - see anecdotes), PPE, which effects the susceptability to cold in palms of the hands (never been known to drink cold ale anyway) and soles of the feet, and angina.

So it's back down into the tube (the one where the workers aren't striking) for another CT scan before the final decision is made. I appreciate the fact that all three main advisors are in the same team and are all singing from the same song sheet but I detect no discordant notes and trust their harmonised judgement implicitly. Hence at this juncture I feel totally comfortable with disregarding any thoughts about a second opinion; a point of view endorsed during a call to a Macmillan nursing advisor.

I have to admit that incurable was not where I wanted to be after this time but it could be a damned sight worse. If I am accepted for the research trial then I will have the best of a bum deal. And at least, on the basis of a marked disinterest amongst the professionals, I have shaken off the gremlin of what I envisioned to be the consequences of the secondary tumour in my spine which had me on the verge of booking a ticket to Switzerland on Air Dignitas! 

So though the trial is yet to start, I'm relatively happy with the sentence. 

On a lighter note, today at Fleet Pond I managed to persuade some of my dog walking compatriots that a quick adrenalin rush from a spin on a makeshift tree swing would do us all a world of good: I have no intention of growing old gracefully.


Caroline
Anna


Jeanette
David


 * How I inadvertently came to dubbing my adversary with this most appropriate of names is recounted in the anecdote pages.
** "A randomised open-labelled multicentre trial of the efficacy of epirubicin, oxaliplatin and capecitabine (EOX) with or without panitumumab in previously untreated advanced oesophago-gastric cancer"



6 comments:

  1. Hi David
    I hope you don’t mind my hopping across from the Mac site, but I just had to comment on your lovely photos and blog. Your hair is absolutely spectacular, what a glorious colour shining like that in the sunlight. The tree swing pics made me smile because there is one in the woods where I walk my dog, and each morning I sneakily have a swing on it in spite of being the wrong side of 55.
    I did laugh at your anecdote where you hadn’t realised that the measurement of the tumour was from the teeth, an all to often and easy mistake to make, and which led you to naming the tumour Goliath. However, it’s appropriate given your name, so arm yourself well David and give this philistine your best shot and kill it stone dead. I know you can do this.
    All the best to you and your family.
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Crystal

    After all your kind support and good advice it's a real pleasure to see you here my friend. I hope that you are well. Take care on that swing but enjoy the buzz.

    David x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck David and keep posting. A friend of mine is in a similar situation, very close to your diagnosis and prognosis,... in most ways. Would like to hear more about the trial. Kindest regards, castle

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks castle - the reference to the trial protocol is here:

    http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/study/NCT00824785

    and I will undoubtedly keep you posted on my progress.

    Cheers

    David

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dear friend...

    I can hardly type for the tears running down my cheeks. I've read all of your posts up to this point but I must stop for a coffee. I so apologize for not keeping up but life sure has been hectic for me as well with no internet while in Virginia except for the local supermarket parking lot and with 105F it's HOT in the car so I had to let lots I've tried to keep up on just slide.

    I just have to say, David, that this has been a journey for me to read your posts. You write so well and your photos (as they've always been) are simply wonderful.

    Please know that I will be praying for you in the coming days and months.

    Off to get my coffee and then I'll be back to get caught up once more.

    Love to you and Geraldine my special friend,

    Pat

    Photography Cafe

    ReplyDelete