Monday 11 October 2010

Disappointed...........

............in myself that I let the anger and frustration vent on the loved one closest in the firing line. I suspect that, though still inexcuseable,  it's a commonplace trait under these circumstances but somehow Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word especially when the fault's not always all mine alone.


I know it's not the first time I've used this bunch of roses, and I doubt it'll be the last, but at this time of year the garden's paucity is an unavoidable handicap to capturing appropriate fresh images. In any event the message to Geraldine is still clear and sincere: "I am so sorry, I love you dearly and can't do this without you, even if it sometimes seems to you as though that is exactly what I am doing!" xxx

By the way I also owe Dave an apology for that outburst which overshadowed his supper visit on Saturday evening during his sojourn from Spain. (But fear not you won't be getting roses and kisses, though you will be expected to drop by again to help with the consumption of chowder belle-mère and the very acceptable bottle of port you brought to our doorstep)

Waking today with the sniffles after a relatively good night's sleep and with yesterday being such a low ebb not only emotionally, after the weekend's outpourings (and I include my ongoing hairloss in just such happenings), but also physically, as the anemia takes a stronger hold (no doubt there is an affective connection in there somewhere), I face this difficult week with more than just a hint of trepidation. It is another busy week taking into account my plans to visit Ian in Sherston after the appointments at St Luke's tomorrow and not forgetting that all too significant hot date with the nurses on the Chilworth Suite on Wednesday for a day of S&M for which some people would pay a king's ransome. So perhaps the best line of defence is another consecutive day's rest in preperation for the onslaught: A quick a.m.walk, Monty's photoshoot and home to bed sounds good to me! But don't forget to phone GP for blood test results and repeat prescriptions.......Oh, and while you are about it pay monies into bank, and..........bloody hell, you just can't keep a good man down can you?
PS (Posted at 23.30) Thank you all so much for your kind words in the commentary box,
epecially those from my darling wife Geraldine. I love you too XXX.  Just before I go to bed I would like to let you all  know that, despite what's on the cards in future and, moreover thanks to the timely input of some dear friends, relatives like Gary, and Julie, 'mine host' at the Crown and Cushion and her staff (the mushroom risotto for lunch today, made with the Parasols I collected whilst walking, was superb - thanks chef!),  the day got gradually brighter and brighter so that the road ahead, from my viewpoint,  is now definitely a lot sunnier

Caroline and Sam
Monty, 'mine boast'
Julie, 'mine host'

Minley this morning during a walk with Caroline and our canine buddies Sam and Chaka. Whoever coined the phrase "It's a dog's life!" obviously didn't know how lucky the dogs and I are to have her as a friend. (see photo above left)





14 comments:

  1. You're right - a busy and significant week ahead for you in many ways.
    Re the 'outbursts,' when your book arrives, you'll have to read Sunday 4th April's entry entitled 'Don't Get Shirty with Me.' (or you could just read it on the blog) It is strange how much we take it out on the ones we love. At least you realised you were doing it - I had no idea!
    Keep busy, David - and I'll be thinking about you as you go through your tricky week. Keep us posted.
    Shents x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David
    You and I found out about the same time. Hell of a shock. Don't try to do too much while you are feeling at your worst. I spent the first four days after my first treatment watching TV and thank the gods that I had Sky. Every time I got up from my chair too fast I felt light headed and passed out twice. Got a big bruise on my bum. Didn't even think of going out the front door. Just had a slow potter to the greenhouse to check the plants, so while the anaemia is rife I'd advise not trying to beat it, go with the flow, feel sorry for yourself and get a bit of pampering. When the light headedness wears off then go for it. I'm currently back to normal, perhaps better than I have been for a bit before as I can now eat soft food, and have done all sorts of DIY work that I had stored up.
    Remember although when you feel bad , it feels as if you are the only one suffering, we are all with you, sharing the road, good bits and bad bits, travelling on to success.

    Oh the hair'll grow again when the chemo finishes, not much comfort now. I had a No4 clip in case that happened but all that happened is that hair growth has slowed.

    Oh I can't snap at my other half as he's a musician on the cruise liners and only comes back intermittently.

    Big co-traveller hug
    Sandy (scorpigirl)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheeky!

    I'll be thinking of you Wednesday (actually, I think about you everyday now, but don't worry; my husband knows!) and wish you a speedy session; you'll wear the nurses out otherwise!

    Mwah!

    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi David, So sorry that you’ve been feeling emotionally floored, but you will pick up again. The chemo drugs do have that effect, where we go through those insecurities and doubts, but remember, tomorrow is another day. You visit your friend then and I hope it’s a special day for you both.
    Crystal xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. To my darling David, my promise to you - whatever the future holds I will be at your side and when you are feeling down my love will pick you up and be your strength. A promise sealed with a loving kiss…… Geraldine x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks kindly girls and please see a very pertinent postscript to today's posting.

    I trust your day was as bright and sunny as mine; sending me forward into a difficult week with strengthened resolve and a smile on my face.

    Love and best wishes to one and all.

    David [X]

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sitting here at 10:15 pm Eastern time thinking of you too, David. My heart goes out to you and Geraldine in a very special way. I've been at the "receiving" end during the time I cared for Jack but I never ever felt he didn't love me. We had a special love as you and Geraldine have and that's wonderful.

    Constantly thinking of you and praying for you,

    Luv

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man oh Man, Boy oh Boy, David - where has the beer swilling rugger bugger of old gone? you better man-up for Ian - the language needs to change to recent rugby results, football results, the families sporting endeavours and stories of yester-year - none of this mush.....!

    ;-)

    LOL - from your pain in a*se son-in-law xx (kisses for Gerry, not you!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thinking of you constantly Dad. I hope we can see you at some point this week. Be strong tomorrow. I love you. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks folks it was fantastic to see Ian still joking along in the bosom of his family, all of whom were present including two utterly adorable granddaughters, and regaling us all in his own inimitable fashion. Despite, towards the end of our visit, the quite heart wrenching tableaux of him retreating into a private corner when a coughing fit splattered him and the floor with the blood from his effected lungs (how unimaginably terrifying that must be for him) I would not have missed a single second of our reunion. Knowing that today we both attend our respective cancer centres in Guildford and Bath for treatments will bond us even closer with a link never ever to be broken again no matter what - "Hope it goes well for you Cruncher: sock it to 'em!"

    Unable to do it myself I need and very much appreciate those prayers Pat: Thank you.

    Duncan you can rest assured that it's one pain for which I definitely won't taking any remedies. Thanks for the kick where I deserved it!

    My darling daughter Jennie it will take more than another session of outpatient chemo to prevent me seeing just as much of you and the grandchildren as your busy, successful professional and hectic domestic and social. calendar will permit. Please give my best regards to Andy

    Love, kisses (beer tainted) and manly rugger bugger hugs all round.

    David [xxx]

    ReplyDelete
  11. David,
    I have said it before, although I am not a regular contributor to your blog.

    You are always in my thoughts and I send my heart felt positivity and support to you daily!

    Love
    Vix

    ReplyDelete
  12. Something to make you smile - because you deserve too.... lots of love to you both, Tash xxx


    Mr Cadbury met Miss Rowntree on a Double Decker. It was just After Eight.
    They got off at Quality Street. He asked her name. 'Polo, I'm the one with the hole' she said with a Wispa.
    'I'm Marathon, the one with the nuts' he replied. He touched her Cream Eggs then slipped his hand into her Snickers.
    He fondled her Flap Jacks and she rubbed his Tic Tacs. It was a Fab moment as she screamed in Turkish Delight.
    But 3 days later his Sherbert Dip Dab started to itch.
    Turns out Miss Rowntree had been with Bertie Bassett and he had Allsorts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Vix

    much appreciated and I have been looking for your tel no on the Clumber foray contact/Xmas circular you sent many monns ago but they are on my old PC and thus buried never to be found. Please send via email please.

    David {X}

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now credited you with this permanently on my Jokes page Ta Tash!

    Thanks for your support and being a prop to Geraldine.

    love from

    David [X]

    ReplyDelete