Monday 4 October 2010

S.A.D.?.....Not since I've discovered Minley Wood

"It's two in the morning and once more the dawning has brought out the wanting in me!" to misquote Faron Young's hit of 1971. The dilemma though is that I can't work out why exactly it is that  I am suddenly feeling so flat after what has been a very good few days. To my nearest and dearest and even the most casual observer of this recent interlude it would, I have no doubt, be a no brainer: Today's lack of exercise; drop dead tireness; stress; lousy weather; over eating later than usual; excess alcohol;  propensity to sink emotionally at this particular time of year; irregular bowel movements making me feel bloated and uncomfortable with painful wind; thoughts about a lot of friends and acquaintances going through a rough patch at the moment; and an abortive 100 mile drive round trip to Winchester. Oh and possibly, just by the way, would a little light-headedness from anemia brought about by a reduction in the platelet count in the bone marrow as a result of chemotherapy treatment for cancer have anything to do with it? Now let me just think about all that for a nano second; and there you are, problem sorted. So all I need to do is have a good sh-1-t and go back to bed - Simples! If only it were that straight forward.

"The Long and Winding Road (thro' Minley Woood, where....) You Left Me Standing Here!"
A fresh brew of green tea with lemon and ginger, a couple of dunking biscuits and we are set to review the weekend's activities which paradoxically, as will be blatantly evident, gave me every good reason to be feeling on top of the world. Surely it would make more sense to write up my blog installments whilst in that earlier frame of mind at a time other than now when feeling at a low ebb; but I'll try not to let it taint the experience.
Penny Lane, Minley Wood, Hampshire - 2nd October 2010



Click on thumbnail images to view large
All in all it was a relaxing weekend with nothing especially planned, though there were some options if feeling up to it.
At this point I would like to take the opportunity to thank Lisa and Nick Yates from Fleet who ran the Cancer Research 10k Run at Hampton Court on Sunday and included my name on their 'Running for...' vest label. I congratulate and sponsor you both for a very fine effort indeed, especially Lisa who beat her best time by 3 minutes* 
Please sponsor Lisa and Nick
After a complete rest day throughout Friday's non-stop rain, which proved most beneficial because it was not enforced by, or executed in the face of discomfort from the symptoms of the disease or its treatment, and during which Nikky treated me to the first in a series of haircuts planned to ease the transition to baldness, it started out with an early outing on Saturday to Minley Wood with Chaka to take advantage of the glorious weather.  Gary came round for a bacon sandwich at lunch time while Geraldine went on a shopping expedition, not only to enable us to offer a more substantial repast to any other guests but also to stock up on ingredients for my newly delivered juicer, destined to become the most utilised gadget in the kitchen replacing the now redundant bread maker. The main purpose of Gary's visit was a tutorial on Photoshop techniques which produced the composite photo of Alfie and Chaka in the previous posting. I was particularly impressed with the latest cloning technique which actually predicts appropriate infill from the overall content of the image - how sophisticated is that? Before dozing through an exciting Currie Cup match between the Blue Bulls and Western Province I knocked up a batch of Delia's Authentic Ragu Bolognese Sauce; a task previously postponed on the grounds of apathy.Sunday's total washout weather wise, which witnessed my aforementioned abortive attempt to join the Hampshire Fungus Recording Group's foray at Northington Grange near New Alresford, was brightened up on my return by a pleasant intermission when briefly visiting Tim and Caroline on the occasion of Caroline's 31st birthday and meeting her charming mum into the bargain. After whiling away the rest of the afternoon on the computer or dozing I prepared a luxury fish pie using cod, haddock, salmon, prawns and scallops topped off with a creamy cheese mash, washed down with a white Rioja from M&S. Dessert was a Tesco's Finest Champagne Rhubarb Yogurt and a liberal helping of Exloda, that well known ingredient used in combination chemotherapy for advanced oesophageal cancer and which apparently does just what it says on the packet!
So now you know why my mind is somewhat confused by the contradictory outcome  of this weekend's events. There's nothing like a portion of self pity to ruin your appetite so my advice is to  keep it off the menu permanently. 
"We had joy, we had fun, we had seasons in the sun. But the wine and the song, like the seasons, all have gone."
Rod McKuen and Jaqcues Brel may have lost the seasons according to the words in the above song,  a dying protagonist's farewell to relatives and friends, but on a decidely joyful note I eventually rediscovered them as a celebration of life with this series of photographs taken in the same location of Minley Wood, Hampshire during 2006-7 (the bonus was the winter scene shot taken after the first significant overnight snow fall in the area for ten years and when, apart from those of the wildlife, mine and Chaka's were the only other prints in the snow very early the following morning - mission to complete the set accomplished as well as laying a few ghosts to rest!)
Summer Rain
Autumn Cathedral

Winter Palace
Spring Grove


*Sponsor Lisa and Nick
 

14 comments:

  1. Wow! Gorgeous photos. Hope you're having a good day. Lots of Love Samantha00

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, from my own experience the chemo drugs can cause moods to dip and then have you feeling elated again, but fortunately for me, and I suspect for you too, a naturally sunny disposition tends to prevail when it can. To use your analogy elsewhere, it is like a fairground ride - to quote from you, “dodgems, ghost train, waltzer, dive bomber and roller coaster all combined in one ride”. Certainly, there will be days where you feel as though you’re being flung about on the waltzer and spat out of a gyrating mincer machine, but to counterbalance that, there will be those lovely days that you blog about so joyfully. Your writing, so beautifully illustrated with your photos, song snippets and humour, is an inspiration to read. I hope your day improves and by this evening you’re feeling much better.
    Crystal xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi David,hope you feel more upbeat now.My fave juicing combo is orange,ginger carrot apple and tomato.I was told not to eat grapefruit or use tea tree oil while on chemo.I use Cats Claw and Astragalus to keep cell count up.I stopped using them for 1 week 3 times and each time my bloods dropped to borderline.When i left them off for 3 weeks i had to stop treatment as my white cell count and neutraphils were too low but they came back up when i started again.Seems to work for me but if you want to use them check with the team,my oncologist was fine about it.I also have ferrous tabs on prescription as i had trouble breathing coz red count was so low.I,m afraid the flat feeling is a symptom,i have lovely days but never seem to get that top of the mountain feeling any more but happy nevertheless.Hope things pan out for you.
    Rose xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. To 3 lovely ladies, I thank you all so much and though struggling today I am heartened by your kind words of support and your knowing advice. On top of that although I just dozed through an amazingly exciting climax to the Ryder Cup, the Europe team led by a big inspirational redhead in the guise of Colin Montgomery just won by 14 1/2 to 13 1/2. I'll settle for emulating that close a victory too.

    Love and bests wishes for triumph in your own personal tournaments

    David [[[XXX]]]

    ReplyDelete
  5. David,

    Thanks so much for the mention, it was a honour to have put your name on my run for sign and a big thanks for the sponsorship money. Hope your having a better day and I love the pictures, keep them coming. Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear David,

    I hope your day has improved! The best way to deal with the bad days is to take each day at a time. Whatever each day brings I am certain that you and your awe-inspiring positivity will make the best out of it!

    Also, I would just like to say, that although I only seem to get chance to read up on your blog once or twice a week, you are constantly in my thoughts.

    Best wishes
    Vix
    X

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the 4 seasons shots, David. Really impressive.
    Re the Ryder Cup - I was on a bus with 50 nine and ten year olds today after a trip to Kielder Forest. The bus driver had the radio on, and there was complete hush as the kids got sucked in to the drama! A great cheer rang out as Europe won - a wonderful moment!
    Its ok to have crap days, y'know - don't be too hard on yourself.
    Shents xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Vix I have your phone number somewhere(?) on file in reference to last year's Clumber Park expedition and once I find it I'll give you the benefit of the gravelly tones of this partially paralysed voice box - it beats a heavy breather call hands down!

    luv, hugs and best wishes

    David [X]

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi David, my Ed was down over the weekend and up today. Maybe it's conservation of ups and downs? LOL You have inspired me to post pictures on my blog from last week's hikes here. Someday I have to get to Minley Wood, and you have to get here to Floyen. See you then! xx
    Pilla

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for popping in Shents and Pilla - One of the most important things I have learned is pacing yourself and allowing for restlessness on crap days like these and compensating by storing up energy by really resting on good day when you are not fighting the symptoms and side effect. Not always easy when as active outdoors as I like to be, but a good day of heavy showers more often than not assists that objective currently.

    Any progress on web design yet Shents?

    That's sounds a very atractive proposition Pilla!

    More good vibes to you both

    David [X]

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi David - long time no see! Explains why when I read this; how I didn't know eludes me, but that is not important. I'm really glad to read your posts and to know that you're fighting all the way. You have mine and the rest of the 'Shrooms guys best wishes. We'll continue to read and enjoy your photographs and hope you can make it to the Fleet Pond or Minley forays this season, if you're up for a roam....

    Love, light, bright blessings and prayers to you and your family David.

    Julie xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi David

    Just thought i would contact you to let you know my story

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Again david , just trying out this method of contacting you , not too good with computers !! her is my e mail , give us a call and i will give you my story of this cancer

    Cheers

    mike rooney

    ReplyDelete
  14. michael.rooney174@btinternet.com

    ReplyDelete