Tuesday 12 October 2010

The sign of a tidy mind is not, I have decided, an untidy desk........mmmmm

Whether or not it was a 'thin' theme running through my mind; thinning hair, thinning blood, thinning body, or Thin Lizzie, but as usual I woke up this morning alongside Geraldine, but what was unusual was the fact that I was thinking about another woman. 'Nothing strange about that; situation normal !' my ex-wife Valerie is probably thinking.  Hearing all the breath being sucked in around me in anticipation of a confession. Well I am sorry to disappoint all you soap opera fans but on this occasion the woman I was thinking about, and who lives in Spain, is Liz. I know Liz only through the threads of the World Wide Web, (which incidentally is also how I met Geraldine ten or so years ago), as she was, in common with many others drawn there in distress, participating on the Macmillan forums. She was dispensing her own unique brand of care and support not only to her loving husband, who had been diagnosed with Oesophageal Cancer in March 2009, but also to a number of other forum users including yours truly. Sadly we learned that Pablo lost his fight against this all conquering foe and pass away peacefully last Thursday, 7th October and has now been laid to rest; at last safe from all the suffering. Liz continues to demonstrate bravery and fortitude in her bereavement and my condolences, together with my respect, go out to her and her son and daughter at this time. So it was in my waking hours that I was wondering how she was bearing up without Pablo alongside her and thinking just how fortunate I was to be sharing another day with family and friends.


Sharing life with me is not for the faint hearted and my thoughts drifted to what little things I could do for a start that would make a big difference. The immediate notion was to tidy up my ramshackle life, my study, my tool box, my bedside cabinet (now strewn with half empty pill containers and blister packs).................where have I put the paper work for my blood tests later today?..............no doubt you are getting the picture in full 3D HD! I know that Geraldine hates it and is resigned to there being little hope of changing my ways but I have decided it's time that my filthy habits are banished and my behaviour reflected my currently tidy mind. OK don't all applaud at once, it's not going to happen over night and it's not going to be easy; but there again I don't do easy anymore!
Now it's time for the regular dose of X factor in my life, capecitabine style and then a shower and a shave, probably the last for some time, before heading towards Guildford and hopefully on to see Ian in the Cotswolds.


Where did I put the bloody paperwork?

16 comments:

  1. RofL!!

    I would never have guessed you were so messy David! As if Geraldine doesn't have enough on her hands; honestly!

    Oh, and please say "Thanks" to Geraldine; I read her post out to my husband and burst into tears! It's really not good for me, reading your blogs!

    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. David
    "If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what then, is an empty desk?"
    If you're anything like me, if you tidy up you'll just get mad trying to find it all again and the clutter will just end up on your desk again.
    Hope you had a good day today.
    Crystal xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. David, you must come over here to Ontario and show me how to "unclutter my mind"!!! My desk is absolutely horrendous. I just can't keep it tidy. I go from one topic to another and put things on top of other things in the various piles and pretty soon, I have no idea what that "pile" was all about!!!

    Please enjoy the Cotswolds. Jack and I so enjoyed walking the Cotswold Way many years ago and then on other trips, we spent time in the wee villages exploring the little shops and churches.

    Luv

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! Did you tidy up yet David?

    Geraldine, hide *all* his stuff until he learns to put it away tidily...
    I do that to Rab sometimes -however he's still messy with his paperwork, but it is fun watching him hunt for something when I know where it is :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whaddya think Carole ...too busy enjoying life; things like chemo infusions and other such walks in the park! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Pat it was truly a momentous occasion and when I've got me breath back from today's second bout with Goliath, when he got another bloody nose, I'll tell you all about it. Stiil looking for a special bunch of roses! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only time my desk is empty is when in the hands of the removal men. It may at all other times look chaotic but at least I can find things.........50% of the time LOL.

    Take care my friend and, at the risk of causing you great embarrasment because you are so modest about all your kindnesses and support there, I am off tonominate you on the MacMillan site: http://community.macmillan.org.uk/blogs/community_news/archive/2010/10/13/community-champions.aspx.

    Stop blushing, you know you deserve it.

    love and hugs

    David [X]

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Carole - I think that I will have to start my own blog the day David actually tidies everything up - however I think I may just start the game of hide and seek with his wallet and credit cards!! :-) Geraldine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah yes darling, but you'll never be able to hide Chaka and he is more valuable than what I have ever had in my wallet (with one exception back in my college days which saved me a packet in paternity pay outs).

    Btw all credit maxed out LOL

    I love you dearly you rascally leprechaun. [[[[[XXX]]]]]

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi julie

    All being well and if JP doesn't come up with a Mushketeers foray this w/e I may well see you at Alice Holt on Suday especially as it may be a chance to catch up with my old friend Mike Young, who attended the first 'Shrooms outing that I attended there too. (Linked his photograhic site in my links page)

    Failing that I am having a b/day lunch bash at the Crown and Cushion on the 2nd Nov. (Can't have it on the 3rd because I have a real treat in store: A red hot date with the nurses at the Chilworth Suite, St Lukes, Guildford.) Sorry I can't invite you to that one, you're far too delicate, impressionable and innocent....lol ;o)

    Just make sure to throw a sicky on the Tuesday.

    Big hug to compensate

    David [[[X]]]

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi David,
    I posted (I thought) a reply here yesterday, in a hurry (as all things at the mo), didn't wait to see it 'appear' & now, lo & behold, it has disappeared...I'll try again.

    I wanted to say how sweet of you it was to think of others at a time when you have so much going on in your own life. Thanks. I showed this page to my son & daughter, 20 & 18, and they were very touched, sorry that you are having to go through treatments that they saw their Dad go through & wish you all the very best.

    Things here are a whole mixture of emotions & problems, as I'm sure you can imagine, multiplied by the bureaucracy of the Spanish system. Pablo is still everywhere we go, of course. We were married for 22 years & lived here for 16. The only positive is that he is at peace now & was looked after superbly in the hospital.

    One thing we did throughout, to try & keep on top of the cancer clutter, was to have all different types of containers to file things away in. There was a clear box (actually 3 in the end plus a small one at the bedside) for pills & potions, a series of files for medical reports, etc., so there was a place for everything. Beware the onset of chemo brain!

    A final word for Geraldine - I have a fair idea what you're going through! I have heard it opined, by patients, that carers have it as difficult as them at times. Look after yourself, try & find someone in a similar situation to you to have mutual letting off of steam sessions (Macmillan?) as only people in your shoes can truly understand. Thinking of you, Geraldine, together with you, David.

    Lots of love,

    Liz xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. David! Wot time???? 2nd...um...wen's that? No worries; I'll sort summink and do me best t' join you all!!

    Hope you're okay after Wednesday; been thinking of you.

    Jx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Damn! Forgot to say:

    Val sends her love to you and JP! Bless her!


    J

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Liz, thanks for your kind words at a time when you have so much going on in your own life, I am so glad that you have your family to comfort you. I have defintely taken on board about "letting off steam" .... by the way David has obviously entered the stage of Chemo brain - odd socks, putting on T shirt back to front !! :-) Geraldine x

    ReplyDelete
  15. hey love I was absent minded long before the toxic intake remember - birthdays and anniversaries! ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Julie and Liz - you have emails!

    Love from

    David [XX}

    ReplyDelete