Wednesday 6 October 2010

Really Sad

Yesterday evening I received news about a friend I first crossed paths with during my days at the Royal Air Force College, Cranwell in the late 60s early 70s. We rucked together and mucked together for over 35years before I rather foolishly deserted the friendship. Don't ask me why; it's too pathetic for words. Now on learning that, having been very recently diagnosed with small cell lung cancer with metastases to the liver, he has, even with a course of chemo, only months remaining to share with his lovely wife Annette, his children and grandchildren, I cannot put into words how much I regret my inexplicable behaviour. Ian, if you are reading this, I am so, so sorry, I miss you and I want to see you to tell you man to man how gutted I am. I know you'll take heart from the loving care of your family, with love from Big Red.


To the honour of all servicemen past and present, especially those fighting futile wars at the behest of spineless, power hungry, egotistical politicians:


8 comments:

  1. David
    I’m so sorry for your friend and your lost friendship. It’s never to late to renew old ties.
    Crystal xx
    "Friends are always friends no matter how far you have to travel back in time. If you have memories together, there is always a piece of your friendship inside your heart."
    ---Kellie O'Connor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shared memories with Ian abound so I hope you are right crystal.

    David [x]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Crystal David, it's not too late to get back in touch again.
    In life we all drift, family, work, location, it all brings about changes over time and sometimes along the way we lose touch with people.
    What actually matters is that we get BACK in touch at some point.
    Much luv xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. David - ditto all of the above.
    Y'know, we have all been complete knackers at some point in our lives, and done things that we're maybe a bit embarrassed about - but the one (and the only) 'plus' thing about cancer, is that it can prompt us to mend things that may be broken - now, and not later.
    You say 'if you are reading this.'
    Why not try and make sure Ian definitely DOES read this. Let him know you're sorry, then give him a bloody big smile with the fab memories you have of the time you spent together.
    Never, never, never too late.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you my friends for all the good advice. I am in touch with Annette and the engine's revving ready for when Ian is feelng up to a visit.

    love and best wishes to one and all

    David[X]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent news. Don't forget to take a box of photos for you both to have a good laugh at - oh - and a box of tissues too!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks to you wise girls it's now sorted as you can seefrom the text of today's email i sent to Ian:

    "Yo Crouch

    Hard to say how much it meant to me to speak to you during my 'phone call this morning. We obviously have bucket loads of catching up to do and some god awful problems to share and spread out across both sets of shoulders. Just like the good old days; eh what! Sorry my voice won't stand up to long calls but I am so looking forward to driving down to the Cotswolds to see you next Tuesday p.m. after I have had my bloods done a.m. at St Luke's in readiness for the 2nd round of the 2x intravenous elements of my chemo the next day. All of this obviously depending on how we both are coping on that particular day.

    Cheers

    Big Red"

    ReplyDelete
  8. David, I'm so happy you were in touch with his wife and I know that you'll enjoy the meeting up once again between you and Ian.

    I'm so sorry to read the news of his health. :(

    ReplyDelete