Friday 15 October 2010

Ding, Ding. Seconds away.........Round Two!

Last (Friday) evening I started to update my blog with reference to last Wednesday's second cycle of the chemo trial but with my eyelids drooping rapidly I abandoned my efforts and made my way to bed for some much needed rest. Now back in that familiar pattern of having been awaken by the build up of pain overnight I am back at the keyboard waiting in a more comfortable upright position for the meds to kick in and also making myself feel sick chomping my way through a tin of Roses chocolates (the soft centres naturally). So collecting my thoughts now what can I tell my avid readers?


It  was certainly a different experience from the first bout in many ways, yet now, having become an old hand at it as it were, a fairly routine procedure; he says with a haughtily blazé attitude to topping up his blood stream with yet another cocktail of toxic chemicals! Armed with a big tin of chocolate biscuits for the team on the Chilworth Ward just in case the charm offensive faltered, I pitched up at the appointed hour; revised to 10.00 by telephone message on returning home from visiting Ian in the Cotswolds late the previous evening.


I digress now to explain how it has now become blatantly evident that despite having our polite request honoured to keep to the same starting time of 08.00hrs on the schedule (even though it was delayed for some hours on the first attempt for reasons now more apparent) for the sake of easy travel into Guildford and more importantly for finding available parking at the hospital, there now appears to be no way round the two main factors preventing this objective: The demand for early slots for higher priority patients (not me obviously) and the the total inability, now proved on two consecutive occasions, of the administrative network to process a request fax to pharmacy by 14.00hrs the previous day in order for the timely preparation of my chemicals; the day in fact on which I routinely have a clinic for blood tests and a debrief and checkup for suitability to proceed with the next cycle, and at which on this occasion  it was actually confirmed, before leaving at 11.00, that all was good for an early start on the following day as previously requested. As it happens we are not phased by this one jot having now organized parking permits for a slot outside a friend's office on the adjacent Science Research Park only five minutes walk from the St Lukes Cancer Centre. Sorted - travel the other side of rush hour and reserved parking! Thank you so very much Mr Dave Lavelle please take a bow and we welcome you tonight for a supper of Gordon Ramsay's Chowder Belle-Mère etc, etc.


Back to the events which unfolded on the day ward as I settled into the waiting arms of a new nursing team and a comfortable armchair. First was the decision on which arm to attack this time as the left arm and veins were still bruised and sore from the previous onslaught 3 weeks ago, but the right arm was needed for editing photos on the laptop to while away the hours and distract me from the potential discomforts of the procedure. On the advice of yet another lovely nurse called Beth who said she could find another vein in the left arm for me to shoot up (now at least I can pretend to understand the desperation of drug addicts in subjecting themselves to such abuse for the sake of their release from torment) I opted for the left again. So with catheter comfortably seated on the first attempt this time (must have got the second team out on my side last time) and with the impression that they and I had all been doing some inter-cycle training the process went off like clockwork bunging it all through in extra quick time (evidently I should not have made it so easy for them at the first rehearsal), in the midst of banter, jokes and shared common experiences of places, real ale micro breweries at Box in Wiltshire (is there a theme running through my blog I ask myself already convinced there is) and restaurants in Farnham. I even felt comfortable, taking my drip stand in tow, to use the toilet facilities on a couple of very necessary occasions (alas now a dim memory following the constipating effects of the anti emetics and steroids now since administered) a practice totally avoided during the much longer course of the first run through). Naturally having just discussed my bowel movements, and who can predict whether they be over active or non-existent, it's totally appropriate to mention a visit from dietitian arranged my team because, although I was not too concerned about my weight loss (down from over 17stone to around just under 16), they were, and felt I needed advice to build up my bulk and strengtyh again. It was obvious to me what the answer was: Get rid of this ******* cancer and let me get down to the pub for a few pints of Bishops Finger and a large T-bone and plate of chips washed down with a bottle best Meerlust Rubicon from South Africa, followed by a healthy selection from the cheese board and a large vintage port. Simples! Apparently their solution is just as simple; just lots of full fat things like milk and cream, in yogurts and my sauces. Not a great hardship to bear especially as I now have two locals that are more than happy to pander to my dietary needs and specially prepare or alter menu dishes for me, and my home cuisine was always a touch Gordon Bleu. The only problem now is finding a sympathetic bank manger - fat chance, if you will excuse the pun, to stave off bankruptcy while I balloon back up to 18 stone, or maybe I can claim a supplementary benefit on Carer's Allowance or DLA?


I hardly had time to finish the very acceptable lunch of soup, apple juice, chicken fricassee and jelly and ice cream and have a snooze before, after only 3 and a half  hours total time compared with over 7, I was being told it was time to sling my hook, and make way for the next poor bugger in the queue. Doesn't time fly when you are enjoying yourself! But the reality kicked back in as, having avoided any pain, sensation or discomfort during the infusion, especially as this time Beth kindly supplied a heated pillow on which to rest my punished arm, on taking our the catheter the effect was like shards of broken glass splinters shooting up my veins. Also having come prepared I was ready on bidding farewell to face the cold on rush of peripheral neuropathy which more noticeably effected me far more intensely and widely this time round:

Chemological warfare/Anti Peripheral Neuropathy outfit
(notice remaining wisp of forelock)
PN is All Around Me
I feel it in my fingers (and up my nose),
I feel it in my lips (and in my toes), 
That tingles all around me
And so the feeling grows
It's written on the wind
It's everywhere I go
(with apologies to the Troggs)
Love is All Around Me

The one big disappointment was not just being deprived of seeing Natalie's lovely smile on bringing me my bag of goodies from the pharmacy, but having to actually go and collect them myself. I made sure we passed by the research offices to register my sternest complaint in person but what can you do when faced with twinkling blue eyes, a blond pony tail and such a radiant smile it would be substitute therapy to conquer all cancers. Yes you're right I melted into a tongue twisted twit too embarrassed to ask for the photo opportunity it presented!

The last stop before leaving to drive home and collapse in an exhausted heap was to book one of my free alternative therapy sessions at the Fountain Center and one for Geraldine too: I opted for reiki and she chose reflexology for which we both returned to to Guildford the following day to carry out with, what this old sceptic considered on reappraisal to be a, resounding success. So more to follow in the shape of acupuncture, art meditation and certainly more reiki.

Not to sure whether or not my next revelation will appeal to the more delicate and innocent blossoms amongst you (do I know any such people?) But here goes: Desperate for a good nights rest I finally decided to take a sleeping draught in the form of the Zopiclone tablets my GP long since prescribed and have layed ignored ever since in the bedside cabinet.I thought this would counter the opposite effect of the one dose of Ondansetron to be taken the first evening of every new cycle: A powerful anti emetic which if taken too late could causes hyper activity over night. Well the combination had me up and down like a jack-in-the-box but not with any desire to sit at the computer and update my blog because also up and very rarely down was an almost permanent nocturnal erection. I'm not complaining too much as it was good to make yet another re-acquaintance with a long lost friend but as Geraldine had escaped to the spare room earlier on account of my restlessness, or even in anticipation of a less than gentlemanly advance on her, I both took pity on her and took my problem in hand with the result that I woke up next morning more exhausted than ever. OK girls you can wipe the smiles from your faces thinking about what a blessing you might think such occurrences are, but as any gent will tell you it ain't no laughing matter...... at least not after a trip to seventh heaven!


Undeterred and equipped with material to give the the dog walking sorority an early morning chuckle I set off with Chaka to Minley Wood on a decidedly autumnal morning, and now under a definitely unfriendly set of weather conditions, where I briefly met Caroline and Fiona and their charges, especially stir crazy Rupert who was straining at the leash to overcome being couped up for his own good, before departing for The Fountain Center. But not before agreeing to meet Caroline later for a longer session during which she wanted to introduce Chaka to yet another playful Vizsla and having been rejuvenated by the Reiki I manage another two or so hours and the dogs made another instant friendship.



Don't know where you're going Fi-Fi,
but we're going this away!


Barney, Chaka and Caroline
The week also finished on a high note as with the PN calming down somewhat, I managed yet again to the overcome all the other debilitating effects one by one except for the first signs of nausea, my fault for getting forgetful about the strict regime but readily remedied,  and the ever problematical bowel activity or more significantly the lack thereof which I just can't work out even with attempts to balance Laxido with Immodium. Even this morning, despite three sachets of laxative,  I am still  waiting for the world to drop out of my bottom  and relieve what are beginning to become the most irritating of the ill-feeling symptoms.. Sorry to dwell, and getting back to the positive, on Friday morning having taken Geraldine to work and leaving the plumber to sort out faulty pipe work around the dish washer and washing machines I headed off  to Virginia Water for lunch at the Rose and Olive Branch with Valerie, my ex-wife and still my good and supportive friend. During a short postprandial walk with Chaka we even found a rare fungi on a fallen elm branch - Rhodtus palmatus (or Wrinkled Peach) - always was, other than of course her winning smile, Valerie's most endearing feature!

Rhodotus palmatus - Wrinkled Peach (exclusively  grows on elm),
a pretty fungi becoming more rare because of dutch elm disease

Before returning to Farnborough to collect Geraldine from work and get ready for Gary's overnight stay at our house, I finally had my referral to an ENT consultant at Frimley Park Hospital to attend. The upshot of that, and a hastily arranged impromptu hearing test, was that my right vocal chords do not function any more and Geraldine's diagnosis of 'selective hearing' has been confirmed. And I now sit here on Saturday morning waiting in trepidation for the arrival of Nicky and her grade two clippers to see if she can retrieve the last vestige of my now decidedly moth eaten barnet, after which it's waiting for a Tesco delivery, and probably an emergency run to Waitrose,  for the ingredients for Dave's 'thank you' supper tonight. So it looks like I'll be chained to a hot stove for the afternoon, rather than a hot date in the woods!


The First Cut is the Deepest! (courtesy Rod Stewart)
You Wear It Well (courtesy Rod Stewart)



 'Bye for now folks......
.......the ingredients await!
Chowder belle-merè (in the raw)
"Did I really come all the way from Spain for three bowls full of fish soup and a bottle of Portuguese
 vinho verde from Tescos on special offer?" mused Dave Lavelle
The proof of the pudding as they say........and judging from some of the expressions there may have been a few magic mushrooms crept into the recipe by accident as well as cod loin, undyed haddock fillet, smoked haddock, salmon and prawns? Go on dip your....freshly baked home made wholemeal seed & grain...bread! 



11 comments:

  1. You win again David, i've looked at plenty of old elm (well any i come across) and so far this year no Rodotus palmatus (exclusive to elm except it is jumping species and occasionaly found on Salix).
    You have a great turn of phrase and think you should write my blog next year while i just send in photos :)

    Cheers J.P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers JP - it would be great to do it on the JogLe by being alongside you on the route as we travelled it together, but might just be a bridge too far! But will join you for a leg or two and that's a promise!

    David

    ReplyDelete
  3. Food looks good (well, I'm sure it did once it was cooked!). Me? I'd have put the food back in the cupboard and just drunk meself daft with that lovely little red-head in the left of the foto! Then I'd have giggled meself silly when Gary turned up and got a takeaway!

    But then, I've never been particularly sensible!

    Jx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It certainly seemed to be well appreciated Julie. I can only fault your argument on the premise of picking the wrong red-head to get daft over, and at least Gary was on hand to savour the delights of my cuisine again this time to make up for being short changed the last time. If I don't see you before then hopefully with the canine crew at the C&C at lunchtime (12.00) on the 2 Nov. JP and I may even do a quick foray beforehand if you fancy a tramp in the woods - boom, boom LOL X (never did discover your favourite Cb patch in Hawley)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erratum: Oops - more identification mistakes - never could tell a 'b' from a 'c'

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say I was a little worried about you losing your crowning glory Dad but I think it really suits you!! Andy has decided you will definitely fit in on the terraces at Molineux and is busy calling the ticket office to secure your place ;-)
    Can I please put a Christmas day pre-order in for the chowder? Don't worry, I'll sort the nut roast out for those who don't!!
    Looking forward to a run around Virginia Water lake and then lunch with you and Gerry today. See you in a couple of hours.
    Jen xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. David
    You look fab and indeed you wear it well (the number two cut). And that chowder belle-mere looks absolutely delicious so I shall be cooking that very soon. Having tried your Cep lasagne a couple of weeks ago I can thoroughly recommend that wonderful creamy dish. Your photos are lovely, with everyone enjoying themselves and looking happy. I particularly like the menu food photos, especially the finished results, as it helps to get a feel of the dish and what to aim for. As I’ve said, I’m a huge fan of your blog because you cram it full of interesting things. Your apologies to the Troggs made me smile. I was a big fan of the Troggs way back when.
    Have a good day today with your daughter and a big hello to Geraldine.
    Crystal xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you daughter dearest for those comforting words; and there's me thinking my perks had a bit more to offer than standing on the terraces with all those soccer hooligans. Glad you had a good day with us at Virginia Water and a fabulous evening watching your favourite 'Stereophonics' at Hammersmith in the evening. You will be pleased to know that Gerry went straight to bed in order to shake off the sinus pain and headaches she was suffereing.

    love you lots

    Dad xxx

    PS - seems Ellen and William too had a good w/e with Duncan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Crystal

    We seem to have so much in common it's really quite uncanny but warmly endearing. Glad you liked the recipe and I'm finding like the chowder, having carte blanche to go mad with the double cream the flavours are just so enriched. Just hope it has the desired effect of bulking up my weight and strength for the reinforcements necessary to combat treatment.

    Poor Gerry is a bit under the weather at the moment so the glad tidings are welcome.

    Thanks for visiting yet again you know how much I appreciate it.

    love and hugs

    David [X]

    ReplyDelete
  10. David,

    That food sounds lovely...made a fish pie tonight with smoked cod and prawns in a little white sauce topped with mashed potato...

    Your barnets looking good mate, it has taken years off you...should have done it ages ago :-)

    I read your blog and understand that underneath the bravado and the natural charm there are times of darkness - I know those times and when I know them I will think of you and raise a glass of San Pellegrino.

    Looking good big man, nothing I can say or do to take away the pain, just be here and raising my glass.

    All the very best with a big hug.

    T x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Much appreciated big guy. it's good to know we see eye to eye LOL

    Cheers (with more real ale than Real 3)

    D x

    ReplyDelete