Monday 18 October 2010

When the going gets tough..........

.........the tough remind themselves that they are a lot better off than many others and stop whining and get on with life as best they can under the circumstances!


I'm not pretending it's been as easy to recoup from the second cycle of Real 3 toxins infused into me last Wednesday in a manner a little removed from the first run through, but if I am honest I still don't have much to carp about other than a very obvious lowering of energy levels and, until today, a chronic lack of any reasonable bowel movement which may have also been responsible for the sharp pain across my ribs under my right shoulder blade and other abdominal discomfort normally associated with such malfunction, but that in turn is pure speculation on my part. So as I sit here updating the blog, waiting for the appointed time to take anothe 3 x 500gm dose of Xeloda and thinking anecdotally back to days long ago when dalliances with a buxom WRAF officer who anagramatically, with a small modicum of poeticc licence thrown in, would oft prompt the passionate outpouring of  "O Xelda, O Xelda" (though not sure if  even I am brave enough to recount it here: But what bitter irony it conjures up of just desserts), I can report that spirits are high. Use of painkillers and anti-emetics is  minimal; in distinct contrast to the volume of Laxido and  fresh juices, not to mention a bag of  Pontefract Cakes (liquorice sweets), consumed in an effort to shift the blockage. As this looks like becoming a regular pattern after every bout I will do my utmost to spare you further unsavoury details especially at times when evening meals are likely in preparation unless there is a significant variation on the theme. However as it is the one factor currently causing most discomfort and distress it warrants a mention now.

Lunch at The Wheatsheaf, Virginia Water


Sunday saw a bright day dawn after an enjoyable previous evening cooking for and entertaining guests, so though still feeling the strain and lack of get up and go brought about by Wednesday's events and the aforementioned aftermath consequences I got up and went........... with Geraldine, in the direction of Virginia Water, just down the road into Surrey, where I had arranged to meet my daughter for lunch. The plan was that we would walk Chaka part way round the lake while Jennie and Andy ran the full circuit before meeting up for a pub lunch. As it happened, and I just can't get away from the subject, I was forced to stay in close proximity of our second choice hostlery (The Wheatsheaf as oppsosed to the fully booked  Rose and Olive Branch) as the rumbling echos from my tummy announced that the Laxido was proving efficaceous in a somewhat reluctant and stuttering fashion. Sidestepping any further repercussions we negotiated a pleasant and hearty al fresco repast. Amongst the many other matters discussed were the demise of Wolverhampton Wanderers playing ability in their previous day's drawn game against West Ham (excuse me while I smoother a yawn - just joking Andy!) and the possibility of crossing the channel to Honfleur under the auspices of Andy's ocean sailing tutelage. (Fully focussed on that prospect). One other topic of conversation, linked to the fact that my barnet was now sporting a very accurate impression of a baby's bath brush, was my story regarding the King of Shaves mens' toiletries company whose shaving and hair gear I was habitually using. Through contact via Facebook on the 14th October, in order to let them know, with reasons, why it was that I was going to be, temporarily, an ex-customer, it had transpired that a delivery of complimentary shower and face products from their latest Farady and Kielder ranges had been delivered in the post two days later. All carried out on the personal instructions of Will King himself; proving him to be not only a caring and compassionate man, but also a marketing genius!


Geraldine and I headed home via Longacres Nusery at Bagshot to pick up some cat food whilst our lunch companions made their way back to Windsor get on with some gardening  prior to heading for Hammersmith for a Stereophonics gig. Eventually, on leaping out of the car and after sprinting around the green and along the path to our front door (here we go again Geronimo!) I finally settled down in front of the TV and blearily  watched Leicester Tigers bury Llanelli Scarlets in a onesided Heineken Cup rugby match. Geraldine retired to bed for an early night in an attempt to allay the earlier onset of sinus and head aches (More than likely caused by my constipation!)



Whirling Dervishes - Barney and Chaka

Today, after a faltering start and I'll say no more, turned out to be one of the precious rest days interruptted only by a morning visit from Caroline, and susequently a pleasant walk in Minley Wood with our pooches, and a brief visit from James who mowed the front and back lawns for me. Relaxed, and finally relieved, I whiled away the remainder of the day editing photos .........in a fog of noxious wind.


You didn't really think I had at last dropped the subject did you?

3 comments:

  1. I love Pontefract Cakes...did you also try my Ribena remedy?

    Also, fresh dates (fruit ones not opposite sex ones) are pretty good at the moment (if you like dates that is....)
    If you don't like them on their own, stick them in a toffee pudding and eat lots of it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what causes it, David! It's the 5-line-long sentences! I love the way you write. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello ladies - like the comments tho' not too sure about the implications. No Carole, I have not tried the ribena fix, not now required this time round, as I only picked up on,your suggestion elsewhere later in the day. Hey Pilla, surely you are not suggesting I have a case of verbal diarrhea on top of everything else - lol

    Hope it all goes to plan for you both regarding your new op date Carole, and Ed's ongoing treatment when the decisions have been made about the best way forward Pilla.

    Thanks for looking in, and take care

    David [XX]

    ReplyDelete